c-title pmc-u-font-size-20 pmc-u-font-size-38@tablet pmc-u-font-size-46@desktop-xl u-text-align-center@mobile-max u-letter-spacing-0025 pmc-u-line-height-normal u-line-height-45@tablet pmc-u-padding-t-1 pmc-u-padding-t-050@mobile-max”>Roundabout’s ‘Caroline, Or Change’, ‘Trouble In Mind’, ‘Birthday Candles’ Announce Broadway Plans
By Greg Evans
Associate Editor/Broadway Critic
More Stories By Greg
May 10, 2021 12:00pm
Services to share this page.
Roundabout Theatre Company
Broadway’s Roundabout Theatre Company has unveiled its post-shutdown production schedule, with both the much-anticipated revival of Caroline, Or Change starring Sharon D Clarke and the Broadway debut of Alice Childress’ 1955 play Trouble in Mind both beginning previews in October.
The Roundabout lineup was announced by Todd Haimes, Artistic Director/CEO.
In addition to the not-for-profit’s Broadway lineup, Roundabout also announced scheduling for its Off Broadway slate: Mansa Ra’s …what the end will be and Dave Harris’ Exception to the Rule (both April 2022) and Anna Ziegler’s The Wanderers (July 2022).
Temptations Musical 'Ain't Too Proud' Resumes Broadway Performances In October
See below for specific dates and descriptions.
The Roundabout announcements are the latest in a rush of openings and reopenings since New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said last week that Broadway could reopen in the fall at 100% capacity provided venues meet Covid safety guidelines, which could include proof of Covid vaccinations or negative test results and masking.
So far, the roster of productions to announce fall starts includes Phantom of the Opera, Come From Away, Six, Chicago, Mrs. Doubtfire, Clyde’s, Company and Ain’t Too Proud, with more announcements expected in coming days.
Here is the Roundabout lineup:
- Jeanine Tesori and Tony Kushner’s Caroline, Or Change starring Sharon D Clarke, directed by Michael Longhurst, choreographed by Ann Yee
Previews begin October 8 at Studio 54; Opening Night October 27
- Alice Childress’ Trouble in Mind, directed by Charles Randolph-Wright
Previews begin October 29 at the American Airlines Theatre, Opening Night November 18
- Noah Haidle’s Birthday Candles starring Debra Messing, directed by Vivienne Benesch
Previews begin March 18 at the American Airlines Theatre; Opening Night April 10
- 1776, the classic Sherman Edwards-Peter Stone musical about the signing of the Declaration of Independence, will play in Fall 2022, directed by Jeffrey L. Page and Diane Paulus at the American Airlines Theatre.
- Mansa Ra’s …what the end will be, directed by Margot Bordelon
Opening at the Laura Pels Theatre/Harold & Miriam Steinberg Center for Theatre, April 2022. Roundabout has also commissioned Mansa Ra to write a second play, for Broadway
- Dave Harris’s Exception To The Rule, directed by Miranda Haymon
Opening at the Black Box Theatre/Harold & Miriam Steinberg Center for Theatre, April 2022
- Anna Ziegler’s The Wanderers, directed by Barry Edelstein
Opening at the Laura Pels Theatre/Harold & Miriam Steinberg Center for Theatre, July 2022
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.